At Nutrition for Life we recommend Nutritional Yeast for people who;
- Need more variety of micronutrients in their diet such as sources of B-group vitamins and trace elements
- Are gluten-free, plant-based eaters or vegan.
- Are seeking alternative options to dairy which provide a cheesy taste.
About Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional Yeast is a popular food product often used in vegan cooking and plant-based cooking. Although anyone can try it.
Nutritional yeast is a species of yeast known as Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It gets its name from the protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants it contains.
This yeast is grown specifically to be used as a food product. The yeast cells are killed during manufacturing and not alive in the final product. It is used in cooking and has a cheesy, nutty or savoury flavour.
Nutritional yeast is sold as flakes, granules or powder and can be found in the spice section or bulk bins of health food stores or here at Nutrition for Life Pantry.
Health Benefits of Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast contains the powerful antioxidants glutathione and selenomethionine.
As it is a source of B vitamins; B vitamins play a vital role in maintaining good health and well-being. As the building blocks of a healthy body, B vitamins have a direct impact on your energy levels, brain function, and cell metabolism.
- As it is high in fibre it may for some people cause unease in their digestive tract
- It should be avoided if you have IBS
- Nutritional Yeast is used in cooking – speak to us for more ideas.
- Add it to sauces for a cheesy flavour
- Season baked kale chips or sautéed leafy greens
- Sprinkle on salads
- Flavour salad dressings
- Use to make a cauliflower bake
Thanks for Sharing!